From Steve Fairbairn's 'mileage makes champions' to the longest head race in the University calendar.
Steve Fairbairn is arguably one of the most influential figures in the history of Jesus College Boat Club and of Cambridge rowing. As an oarsman he was among the celebrated cohort of Jesus rowers at the end of the golden era of 1875–1886, during which the club held the Mays headship for eleven consecutive years and, in 1885, won the Grand at Henley.
In 1904 Fairbairn returned from Australia and devoted the rest of his life to coaching at Jesus, CUBC and Thames Rowing Club. He championed the introduction of swivel gates and sliding seats, and his coaching gave rise to the hallmarks still known as 'Fairbairnisms'. His maxim, "Mileage makes champions," captures his attitude to preparation — he once canoed 62 miles from Putney to Henley in 23 hours to win a £1 bet. With mileage in mind he founded the Thames Tideway Head of the River Race in 1926.
Shortly after, Fairbairn decided a similar race was needed to add focus to the Michaelmas term for Jesus oarsmen not involved in University trials. In 1927 he raced a provisional Lents line-up over the longest distance possible on the Cam — Fort St George to the Little Bridge. In 1928 the 'Crock Eights' were joined by Fitzwilliam, Sidney Sussex, Peterhouse and St Catharine's; in 1929 the race opened to all colleges and Fairbairn donated a cup — the Fairbairn Cup Races were founded.
The races quickly became a fixture of Michaelmas term. A women's event was added in 1976 and, due to pressure of numbers, a novice division in 1983. Since 1990 the start has been at the Jesus College Boathouse flagpole, where it remains each year.
Course, times, rules and results for the modern race.